Many may think that the shape of the ear does not affect the aesthetic image of the person, and that any plastic surgery performed on the ear is a matter of absolute luxury, and this is often due to the fact that they enjoy healthy and beautiful ears. from scratch, and they have never suffered ridicule from others because of the bad or attractive appearance of the ear.
This operation can be done in childhood, but it is preferable to wait until after puberty to perform it so that the patient does not have to repeat another operation once the final shape of the face has stabilized at puberty.
The purpose of the operation is therapeutic to return the ear to its former shape after an accident or injury.
Unfortunately, performing an otoplasty without surgery still has very limited results (it only depends on concealing its prominence with the help of accessories or adhesive strips). So far, it is not possible to treat a protruding ear without surgery.
What is otoplasty?
Otoplasty is a process of changing the shape of the auricle of the outer ear, it is performed for patients who suffer from the problem of the ear protruding from the head. Otoplasty is performed to change the location, the shape or size of the auricle. The main purpose of the operation is to improve the proportion between the shape and size of the face and the ear.
Anyone suffering from the large size of the auricle or its protrusion away from the head (bat ear) or in case of deformation resulting from an accident can perform this operation.
Advice before otoplasty surgery
- The right surgeon must be chosen to perform the operation, who has experience and skills and who has performed this type of operation before and achieved good results.
- You should tell your doctor about any illnesses you have and if you are taking certain medications.
- Tell the doctor your goal for the procedure and the result you hope to achieve.
- Perform the tests that the doctor tells you to do to ensure your safety before the operation.
- Give up bad habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol long enough before the operation.
- Refrain from eating and drinking for at least 12 hours before surgery if general anesthesia is to be used.
Otoplasty surgery stages
Otoplasty consists of three main steps, the anesthesia step, the surgical incision step, the suturing step, and the fixing of the new shape.
- Anesthesia stage: The doctor chooses the most appropriate method of anesthesia for your particular case, where you can undergo either local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
- The surgical incision stage: The doctor usually makes the incision at the back of the outer ear, but when it is necessary to make it from the front, the doctor tries to hide it between the folds of the ear. After that, the doctor uses fixed surgical sutures to secure the new shape of the ear and the outlet after the operation.
- Suturing the incision: The doctor begins to close the wound by suturing it using appropriate sutures.
Side effects after the operation
It may appear after the lateral floor after the operation, such as:
- Sensation of pain and tightness at the site of the operation, and it can be overcome by using painkillers.
- The ear tumor disappears in a few days.
- There may be cyanosis at the site of the operation, but it quickly disappears.
The patient may experience itching and pain in the ear after waking up from otoplasty, which is normal and can be controlled by regular painkillers that are used after the surgeries. He may also suffer from swelling or bruising and redness from the ear to the site of the wound, which is normal and will go away over time.
Advice after otoplasty surgery
- Wearing earmuffs in the first days after the operation to protect the wound, keep it clean and prevent it from getting contaminated, and you will need to protect your ear from any collision or friction, so it is always better to wear clothing with a wide collar that can be removed without rubbing the head and ear.
- Avoid water contact with the wound and wash the whole head under running water before the wound heals, as this can infect it and carry many germs and bacteria.
- Periodically sterilize and clean the wound according to the doctor’s instructions, and do not remove the bandage and condom during the first period, unless necessary.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions and take the medications he has prescribed for you to prevent infection and infection.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages during the recovery period to avoid any complications.
The patient should not expect to get direct results after the otoplasty procedure as he may need a period of more than three months to get the final results of the operation, where the wound is completely healed and the cartilage has returned to its natural place and form, and only then can the result of the operation be judged.
Otoplasty Surgery Complications
Although ear plastic surgery is a simple procedure that does not take much time and has a high success rate in most cases, complications can sometimes occur. Among the main complications:
- The scars occur behind the ear at the site of surgery and can be treated with cortisone or plastic surgery.
- The formation of pools of blood behind the ear that can be removed with medical needles.
- The appearance of infections results from the impact of the operation and can be treated with antibiotics.
- Numbness or lack of feeling in the area of the skin around the ear.